Manakaa Project

Bags & Accessories, Clothing, Knitwear

Products For: Unisex, Women 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Founded in: 2018
Empowerment: Small-Business, Woman-Led
CEO: Valerie Thiesmeyer, Stefanie Blank

Brand Story

The idea of MANAKAA PROJECT is to pay tribute to the old Indian craftsmanship of glass bead embroidery and those who make it. At the same time, the label places this craft in a completely new design context with coded patterns and precise, minimalistic cuts. MANAKAA PROJECT sets the highest standards for fairness, transparency, sustainability and craftsmanship. The result is a collection of unique pieces – silk blouses, dresses and scarves, cashmere jumpers, sweatshirts, trousers and jackets with complex graphic embroidery made of finest Japanese glass beads according to the traditional method of Sari embroidery in India.

TRANSPARENCY STATEMENTS

STATEMENT
MANAKAA PROJECT has very personal contacts with all suppliers and producers. For example, all silk products and the embroideries are made by our partner COCCCON - crafts & loom, who has recently and repeatedly been awarded the German Sustainability Prize. He is OCS 100 (Organic Content Standard 100) and GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified. Our cashmere jumpers are completely produced in Mongolai by a sustainable manufacturer who guarantees his annual access to super-premium raw material by paying herders above-market prices. Furthermore we produce the other collection pieces in a small sewing studio in Stetin, 150 km away from Berlin.

STATEMENT
Transparency is central to our philosophy as how and where clothes are produced. We value the people who produce for us in laborious manual work just as much as the people who wear our clothes. MANAKAA PROJECT wants to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and appreciation.

STATEMENT
We use 100 % organic Peace Silk (Ahimsa silk) from Jharkhand, India. This cruelty free silk means that unlike traditional methods the silkworms survive the production of the silk as they can hatch from their cocoons. The butterflies become part of the natural cycle and increase the biodiversity of the region. This silk is also produced under fair working conditions without any use of pesticide, fungicide or genetic spray and is GOTS certified. Furthermore the raw wool of our finest virgin wool is GOTS certified, supplied by organic wool farms where the animals are kept in accordance with organic standards.

STATEMENT
Currently, approximately 85% of our garment components are GOTS certified or produced according to these standards. The remaining 15% of our materials are manufactured in small, often family-owned factories. We are constantly looking for new organic alternatives and regenerated fibers to achieve the maximum standard of sustainability for our collection. Parts of the collection is made-to-order and MANAKAA PROJECT follows the principal of slow fashion.

STATEMENT
Together with our Indian partner, we have established a foundation in India. Part of the proceeds and donations go to this foundation, which benefits the local school. The aim is to directly support the families of our embroiderers and weavers and to further expand access to education.

Listed: 4 January 2021
Information updated:

SHOP ECO PRODUCTS WE LOVE

DISCOUNT CODE

Code: MOCHNI 2021
Discount: 10%
Minimum order value: 1
Valid until: 31.10.2021

Organic cotton SWEATER 390€

Merino Wool JACKET 690€

Organic cotton SWEATER 390€

CASHMERE JUMPER 590€

Discover More Eco Brands: